1 cup Round Table Unbleached Pastry flour or 7/8 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons dried buttermilk powder
2 large eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water
- Whisk together all of the dry ingredients in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs, oil and water (or buttermilk or yogurt) until foamy.
- Pour the liquid ingredients all at once into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Butter or grease the doughnut pan; non-stick pan spray works well here. Note: even though the pan is non-stick, since the doughnuts are low-fat they may stick unless you grease the pan first. Fill each doughnut form half full.
- Bake the doughnuts in a preheated 375°F oven for 10 to 12 minutes. When done, they’ll spring back when touched lightly, and will be quite brown on the top.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, remove them from the pan, and allow them to cool on rack. Glaze with icing, or coat with cinnamon-sugar or any non-melting sugar.
Tips from our bakers
- Using pastry flour will make a more tender doughnut.
- If you don’t have buttermilk powder on hand, substitute 2 tablespoons buttermilk or yogurt for the water.